Map: (is not registered by house owner)
Large Self Catering Castle:
Invercauld Castle - Braemar, Aberdeenshire near Royal Deeside.
Invercauld is set in the glorious landscape between Braemar and Crathie on Royal Deeside. The Estate extends to some 200 square miles set within the Cairngorm National Park, a wild and fascinating area, characterised by glacially carved valleys, stony tundra, long lochs, craggy peaks plus deep corries.
The ability to have some peace and quiet in today's busy world is rare. Visit what Queen Victoria called her "dear paradise" and enjoy our hills, glens and the famous River Dee in the seclusion of a private Estate.
Invercauld remains a private house and little has changed over the years. The luxury and elegance of a bygone era abounds. There is no better place to enjoy Scotland's rich heritage.
Guests enter via the front entrance vestibule orientated towards Balmoral in recognition of Queen Victoria who was a frequent visitor. The upper hall is used to receive visitors and offers the setting for pre-dinner drinks. The dining room remains as it was over 250 years ago with its panelling made from the trees on the estate, stags heads, crested seats plus tableware.
After dinner you may wish to withdraw to the library or the elegant drawing room, for coffee, tea or a 'dram'.
The Castle accommodates up to twenty people in single and double rooms. All enjoy luxury linens, goose down pillows plus duvets, fresh flowers and our own toiletries.
Of the bedrooms available today, The Prince's Room was the suite used by Queen Victoria when she stayed at Invercauld. The furnishings and furniture are as well-preserved now as they were during her visits. The rose adorned carpet was made on the same loom to the same design as the carpet to commemorate Her Majesty's visit to Chateau Gütch in 1848.
As a token of Her Majesty's gratitude, a gift was made of a lithograph from Winterhalter's picture depicting The Prince of Wales, Prince Alfred, The Princess Royal, Princess Alice, and Princess Helena. It was given by The Queen to Invercauld on September 27th in 1848 and still hangs on the wall of this room today.
The Castle kitchen will create the food of your choice, from a splendid gourmet banquet, to a wholesome breakfast, to an enjoyable lunch or supper. Our resident chef ensures that each dish is cooked to perfection using local produce and fresh ingredients to provide continuity of quality through the changing food seasons.
All the food is freshly prepared including bakery plus patisserie for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, and of course dinner.
The kitchen was designed, made and installed by Mark Wilkinson. Parties of up to ten guests take breakfast, less formal lunches, at the chefs table in the 'old' kitchen. Larger groups, formal luncheons and dinner are taken in the dining room.
An excellent variety of house champagnes, wines and spirits are provided by Tand M Robertson of Edinburgh. On request we are able to supply Champagne Ruinart, special wines plus fine malt whiskies.
Invercauld has been rebuilt a number of times, with part of the present building dating back to the 13th century. In the early 1700s, Alexander Farquharson, the seventh Laird of Invercauld, was largely responsible for rebuilding and enlarging the Castle along with start of the landscaping.
The tenth Laird of Invercauld, James Farquharson, was responsible for planting over eighteen million trees on the Estate giving rise to timber production, which supplied the needs of the shipyards in Aberdeen. Game in and around the vestiges of the Mar Forest became abundant.
The start of the 1800s saw the division of the extensive Farquharson landholdings into individual farmsteads.
In 1817 the traditional Highland Games were resurrected under the aegis of the local Lairds, the venue of the annual gathering alternated between Mar Lodge, Braemar Castle and Invercauld. This revived fashion was confirmed by new Royal interest, initiated by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who were frequent visitors to Invercauld. The Highland Games season starts in July with the final Games held at Braemar always on the first Saturday of September and still enjoys Royal Patronage.
Email to a friend